17 February 2016 – Sydney, Australia: New South Wales businesses and individuals today celebrated a milestone with the .sydney domain namespace marking its one year anniversary.
Since launching the world’s most iconic web address a year ago, almost 9,000 domain names have been registered under .sydney.
These include .sydney early adopters such as the City of Sydney (www.whatson.sydney), Barangaroo (www.barangaroo.sydney), Luna Park (www.lunapark.sydney), the Sydney Fish Market (www.fishmarket.sydney) and the International Wing Chun Academy (www.kungfu.sydney).
Facts about one year of .sydney domain names
- 97% of all .sydney domain names are registered by Australians, with 77% of these registered to individuals and businesses located in New South Wales.
- The 10 suburbs with the most number of .sydney domain name registrants are (in order): Sydney, Parramatta, Surry Hills, Balmain, North Sydney, Dee Why, Alexandria, Baulkham Hills, McMahons Point and Paddington.
- The most-visited .sydney domain names as ranked by Alexa (a website traffic monitoring tool) include: barangaroo.sydney, www.fieldday.sydney and www.agentfinder.sydney.
- 46% of all .sydney domain names are between eight and 13 characters long.
- There is high availability of short and memorable .sydney domain names, with 98% of all possible three- and four-character domain names unregistered.
- The largest portfolio holder has registered 115 .sydney domain names.
- Neustar processes on average 29 million Domain Name System (DNS) queries per month for .sydney domain names, which offers an insight into the amount of website traffic generated by these domains. This averages to approximately 900,000 queries per day.
George Pongas, Director of Product Management at Neustar, said the milestone capped off a successful first year of operation.
“We are pleased with the consumer appetite for .sydney domain names to date and look forward to seeing proud Sydneysiders and businesses serving the state warmly embracing the namespace as awareness continues to grow.”
Mr Pongas said he was particularly proud of the way businesses and individuals were using and promoting their .sydney domain names. He added that the namespace was serving the needs of the community, with 97 percent of registrations originating in Australia.
“It’s encouraging to see the number of .sydney owners using their new domains in their marketing and advertising to connect to their city. This is a testament to their endorsement of the city’s new home online.”
To celebrate .sydney’s birthday, Sydneysiders can enjoy special birthday offers for a limited time courtesy of domain name retailers Crazy Domains, Melbourne IT and Netregistry.
To register your .sydney domain name and take advantage of these special birthday offers, please visit the Register Domain page.